Thursday, September 5, 2013

Elder Dignity: Lillian Gish and James Patterson

September 4, 2013
 
Hello Mr. Patterson,
 
Your letter to SFPL requesting that the library screen Whales of August recently made it into my hands in the Art, Music and Recreation Department of the Main Library and I am interested.  The program I have envisioned though may be very different (and much more simple) than what you had in mind. 
 
At the time your letter reached me I was, coincidentally, in the midst of planning the library's monthly Thursday noon movie series on the theme of older persons in film.  For the series, Silver Screen, I had planned on showing three films with interesting portrayals of older people such as, Make Way for TomorrowDriving Miss Daisy, the Straight Story and/or the Whales of August
 
If we choose to screen Whales of August, would you be interested in introducing the film for this noon series by perhaps sharing 5-10 minutes of your remembrance of Lillian Gish, the making of the film, and the cause (better roles for older actors) she championed?
 
If you are interested, please let me know at your soonest convenience.  The film screening dates are all in November.  You could choose to present on either November 7th, 14th or 28th, but we must decide in advance by Monday, September 16th.
 
Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you. 
 
Sincerely,
Gretchen
 
Gretchen Good
Librarian I
Art, Music and Recreation Department
San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin Street, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102

No comments:

Post a Comment