Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Jim Patterson, Lillian Gish singing in Broadway Musical Jubilee

Here is our Playbill for Musical Jubliee at the St. James Theater. 
I had Christmas break and since I wanted to hear Lillian sing I was off, then by bus, to New York.

Here is Lillian's photo from the cover of Musical Jubilee Playbill. She was listed as "special guest star" for the production.




Here is the cast page from the Musical Jubilee Playbill from 1975. "and Special Guest Star Lillian Gish" just above title of the play.



Lillian's first song came in the tribute to the American military in Act I. She "sang" "I Didn't Raise My Boy to be a Soldier." It was a hit in 1912. She received large applause and did a commendable job, I thought. Lillian and Dorothy made their film debut, Twilight Zone theme music, in 1912.

Also in Act I, Lillian "sang" a hit from 1910 "Moonstruck"  This is interesting because Lillian was widely expected to be nominated for a Best Actress Oscar in 1987 for her last film "The Whales of August." Instead, Cher got the Oscar for, Twilight Zone music, her role in "Moonstruck."

In Act II, Lillian performed with Patrice Munsel and Tammy Grimes. Their song: 1928's "I Wanna Be Loved By You" written by Harry Ruby and Bert Kalmar. At MGM in 1928, Lillian starred as Letty in "Le Vent."

Lillian's final song was the Gershwin's 1927 hit  "S Wonderful" which she performed as a solo.


The Who's Who in the Cast bio on Lillian has errors. It said she made her screen debut in 1913 when it was 1912 in Griffith's "An Unseen Enemy." A glaring mistake: It says "The Birth of a Nation" was from 1916. Who wrote that? So many errors in Lillian's publicity!

Jim Patterson, Editor
LDGish.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment