Monday, June 8, 2015

Jim Patterson, Editor, LDGish.blogspot.com, Receives Email from Tony Slide

April 17, 2015


Dear Mr. Patterson:

I have, quite by accident, just come across your blog on Lillian Gish, and found it most impressive and detailed.

As you are perhaps aware, I had known Lillian since about 1970 or 1971; she wrote the foreword to my and Edward Wagenknecht’s The Films of D.W. Griffith, and, very kindly, described me as “our pre-eminent historian of the silent film.”

I don’t have anything special to tell you, but just felt in the mood to write. I do think, by the way, it is too late now for Lillian to get a stamp. Most recently, Charlton Heston was honored, and if the postal service is honoring such “modern” players, there is little room for individuals from the silent era. It is the sad reality.

Good luck with the blog….

Anthony “Tony” Slide

No comments:

Post a Comment