Sunday, December 22, 2013

James Patterson and Harry Carey Jr.

August 5, 2006 3:00 am

An unforgettable morning of old Western imagery

From Mr James Patterson.

Sir, On the morning of July 15, I sat in the historic Castro Theatre in San Francisco watching John Ford's 1917 silent film Bucking Broadway, starring Harry Carey. The actor's son, Harry Carey Jr, was also in the audience.

The film was one of 10 classic silent films screened at the 11th annual San Francisco Silent Film Festival. After the film, the 85-year-old Mr Carey took a seat on stage and talked of his father's long film career.

He also spoke of his roles in Howard Hawks' 1948 Red River and in John Ford's 1956 The Searchers. In both films Carey co-starred with John Wayne.

After his speech, Mr Carey signed his book and posed for photographs. I was delighted to get a photo with him even though I could not keep my eyes open.

Later that morning, I bought my FT to discover Nigel Andrews' Defining Moment column (FT Magazine, July 15/16) on The Searchers. In the film's famous final scene, Wayne stands alone in a doorway, vast western landscape in the background, and grasps his right arm with his left hand.
As Nigel Andrews states in his column, Ford and Wayne paid homage to cowboy Harry Carey who originated the gesture in silent Westerns.

Imagine my surprise to see the column only minutes after speaking with Carey's son. It was a moment and a festival I will never forget.

James Patterson,
Washington, DC 20037, US
(Office was relocating to San Francisco at that time.)


Harry Carey Jr. walked the stairs to get to this stool on the stage. He slipped a bit and said it was "an inelegant entrance." I told him I loved his father in MGM's 1930 "Trader Horn" with the incredibly young and handsome Duncan Renaldo. It was one of the earliest sound films shot largely on location in Africa.

We got to his role as Joshua in "The Whales of August" and he was delighted I recalled him. He as the youngest member of the cast at 66 in 1987. He said it was "a delight" to work with Miss Gish who he called "an outstanding leading lady."

We also recalled his father-in-law character actor Paul Fix, who I met as a child at a Western theme park, of all places, in North Carolina. That story, from the News and Observer, has been digitized and will soon be posted.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment